Sunday, August 8, 2010

100808: Reflections on SLAYERS




Stormy winds blow through your hair

And reflecting in your eyes is a mirage


You decide now is the time to face once again

The life born in the rift between light and dark


Even if the very mirror reflecting the times cracks and shatters

You will still be alive, crying out for the love you ceaselessly seek


People continue to wander, holding on to ideas they can't give up on

Rather than look up at the walls that stand in your way,

Drive away those illusions and have faith you can knock them down

This is where it all starts, always


The wish that I misplaced in the repeating days

Even if I cover my eyes, I know the truth


Strength and weakness, kindness and scars,

I want to vanquish them out of my wavering heart


Unable to hide our loneliness in this painted townscape

We will still be alive,

We're seeking out the power to conquer tomorrow


You're pretending to be tough, I want to tie in your fragility and love it

The tracks of your tears and your unforgettable pain

Catch them, don't forget them, and so our tomorrow will change

Awaken your slumbering power


People continue to wander, holding on to ideas they can't give up on

Rather than look up at the wall that stand in your way,

Drive away those illusions, and have faith you can knock them down

This is where it all starts, always



I've seen some english translations of the lyrics that were a little more poetic, but this is the best I could find online. All the lyrics to the theme songs of Slayers are really deep, uplifting and reflect on the nature of life in a way that touches me. Every single theme song from that show is top-notch. Some would say the show is too silly or lacks depth, but I feel it was exactly the perfect amount of silliness and heart. I love how anime is so unashamed and doesn't worry about being cheesy at all. Plus the sound design is incredibly lush, and the pop song writing techniques are excellent. I aspire to this.


[tlr]

No comments:

Post a Comment